Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 28, 2021 7:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Central Electronics Sideband Slicer A: Two Questions
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 7:37 am 

Hello everyone,

I was working on replacing all the tubular and electrolytic capacitors in this Sideband Slicer when I happened upon this capacitor:

Attachment:
Capacitor.jpg
Capacitor.jpg [ 277.5 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]

It is the only capacitor I found in the entire unit with a negative sign (I assume that's what it is, anyway) next to a voltage rating. I replaced it with a .25 MFD capacitor rated at 630v for the time being as a place holder. Do I need a special capacitor to replace this, or will a normal tubular suffice?

Finally, what do the four phono ports on the back connect to inside the radio? I reckon it goes without saying that the connections for this device will require their own receptacle (phono jack) and wiring to the necessary points inside the radio.

I don't want to potentially get off topic by discussing the specific details of the project I have in mind, so I'll provide more details if they are needed or if someone's interested. I always have to make sure I stop myself from going off on a tangent both on here and in everyday life. :lol:

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Forrest.

Post subject: Re: Central Electronics Sideband Slicer A: Two Questions
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 2:37 pm 

A normal tubular cap will be fine there, the - symbol doesn't indicate negative voltage. It was either part of the original value marking or a second indicator (in addition to the band) that the outer layer of the foil winding was connected to that end of the capacitor.

The manual for your Slicer is on the edebris website: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/central ... cer%20a&b/

I am not sure why the person who uploaded them named them National CEI but they are the original CE manuals for the Slicer.

Hookup depends upon the receiver model and whether you are using one of the accessory CE adapters or hooking it directly to the last IF stage of the receiver. The manual explains the various hook up scenarios. CE manuals are some of the most poorly written manuals in the vintage gear arena but the information you need is in there.

The Slicer itself is like most other CE gear, it works very well. The documentation was screaming for help from a good technical writer :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 7:00 pm 

Admittedly, I am working on modifying a Hallicrafters SX-62 (which I have read is not anything close to a HAM radio, but rather an SWLing radio) into something that is (potentially) more capable of HAM radio work, even if it's nowhere near perfect. I have a Heathkit LG-1 signal generator to use as a BFO, a Heathkit HD-11 Q-Multiplier to give it more selectivity, and this Sideband Slicer so that I can manually select USB or LSB. I will also be installing a variable capacitor for bandspread tuning. If it doesn't pan out, at least I got the experience of working with these devices.

I wish I could find a schematic for the AP-1 adapter for the Sideband Slicer. It seems to be a device that makes life considerably easier when using a radio in conjunction with the Slicer. My searches have turned up nothing, both in terms of information or adapters for sale. I could build one, as I have some I.F. cans that can be taken from dead donor radios and be installed onto the chassis of the adapter, but this would, of course, require that I have the schematic.

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Thank you for your help so far Rodger, it is most appreciated.

Forrest.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 7:50 pm 

Forrest,

I used a Hallicrafters SX-62A as my receiver during my first week as a novice class ham back in 1975. I made a few contacts but the lack of a separate band spread control was the biggest drawback. Fine tuning was best accomplished by leaving the lid up and using hand capacitance. I found later that the calibration adjust knob affected the tuning enough to work as a fine tuning control. A 14 year old novice will go through a lot to make contacts :) The next week, I upgraded to a SX-101 and my second contact with it was a VQ9 in the Seychelles, it was a MUCH better ham receiver.

Your SX-62 has a lot of capability and it is nearly identical to the SX-42 and the biggest difference is in the simplified tuning mechanism of the SX-62. The SX-42 has band spread tuning and the BFO and phasing control for the crystal filter are brought out to the front panel.

I have a couple of the different adapters (the straight IF stage add on and the converter plus IF that allows the Slicer to work with IF frequencies far removed from 455 Khz.). I can't remember where I got the PDF for the adapters which includes the schematics but PM me your email address and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 8:01 pm 

http://www.ce-multiphase.com/100.pdf

http://www.ce-multiphase.com/

Here is the AP-1 Schematic from Nick Tusa's Central Electronics - Multiphase website. Tons of CE information. bill.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 6:10 am 

PM sent.

Thank you as well for the links KB4QAA. These are much appreciated sources of information that I will chow down on in the coming days.