Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 7:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Value of Westinghouse RC and Radiola IV
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 3:49 pm 

Ok, I am curious. What do you folks think would be a fair current value of a Westinghouse RC (sometimes erroneously called a RA-DA), and of an RCA Radiola IV?

That is, in clean, decent, unrestored condition.

Yes, I know, I know. "Go look at the auction site." Well, as you probably know, there are more and more sellers posting radios for sale on there at absolutely ridiculous prices, so eBay can no longer be counted on as a fair indicator of current values.

I look forward to your comments. Thank you.

https://ronsradios.com/
Его так просто не сломать

Post subject: Re: Value of Westinghouse RC and Radiola IV
PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:10 pm 

Here's one in nice condition that sold at an Estes auction for $125.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/ ... 37D46C8952

For a long time I've considered $100 to $150 to be the norm range for one in nice original condition. Keep in mind the rubber shock straps may need replacing and the audios should be checked.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:35 pm 

Hi Mike,

Thanks. That is what I was thinking as well regarding the value of the RC.

I am considering pursuing the acquisition of these two sets, and if I do, they will likely be "shelf queens" in that I don't think I would want to "restore" them.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:43 am 

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the value of a Radiola IV? Here's a page with photos:

https://www.radiolaguy.com/Showcase/Rad ... ola_IV.htm

Also, if anyone else wishes to post their thoughts regarding the value of a Westinghouse RC, feel free to do so although I agree with Mike (Indiana Radios) on the RC's value.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:52 am 

Ron, if you login to RadioMuseum, it has an extensive list of actual sale prices for the Westinghouse RC (18 just since the start of the pandemic!), plus a half dozen sale prices of the Radiola IV over the last 5 years.

The RC is a bit odd because it's listed under both RCA and Westinghouse, but check both listings. If you search Westinghouse Ra Da they are the only two listings found. (If you search RC it finds them and other stuff as well).

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:46 pm 

I payed 150 for an RC a few years ago without haggling, as it is as nice as the photo. Thing is that the audios are vintage replacements and the det amp has had restoration work done but is in original circuit configuration. Pretty decent performer with a speaker. The one I have is from the estate of a radio pioneer and even that did not make the price go real high. They seem to be pretty affordable for a radio of that vintage and type. Much less costly than the one tube Kennedy I bought at the same venue. I have all the battery sets I care to mess with, at this point. Was fun tuning in KDKA with the RC last year, for a bit. IF I had youtube access I ought to have posted a video of it doing that, I suppose. Drives either my horn or better sounding cathedral speaker.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 4:41 am 

I did go to Radiomuseum and took a look at both models. I immediately noticed that all of their "collector's prices" for these two models were taken from eBay sales.

A three year average of Westinghouse RC sales on eBay, leaving out four excessively high figures, comes out to $127 and change, right in the middle of Mike's opinion of $100-150.

"Collector's prices" (eBay sales) of the Radiola IV are even more interesting. A four year average of Radiola IV sales on eBay comes out to $236. I left out five excessively high figures in arriving at that conclusion - $1440, $1225, $825, $812, $670.

I an not knowledgeable at all on Radiola IV prices, but I could see a nice example selling for $300, possibly more, but not $1200+. Maybe $670 or $825 for a extremely nice model, properly restored and working with three good UV-199 tubes? That isn't what I would want anyway - I would want a clean, decent, non-working and unmolested set, no tubes or with dud tubes.

Do you folks concur? Or disagree? Let me hear from you on the Radiola IV as no one has chimed in on that model yet. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 1:46 am 

Have to say I disagree. What's the rationale for leaving out the top four or five selling prices, some belief that they are invalid? Although, it might be justifiable to remove a sale if the last few hundred dollars is just between two bidders.

As to the Radiola IV. Like everything else price depends on condition amongst other things, and the definition of "nice" or "extremely nice". These sets are not only hard to find but in extremely nice condition, much harder. Extremely nice would include:

An original cabinet with an unchecked, uncrazed original finish on the outside like you find under the lid.
A cabinet with all four feet intact, as these often went missing or were removed.
Perfect grill cloth, bright, so stains or tears.
Clean faceplate with little evidence of brassing.
Both audio transformers are good, almost unheard of.
Good horn driver and unwarped, intact hard rubber horn.
Battery hardware (for supporting dry cells) is present as is the wiring harness.
Last but not least, two original antenna plugs that are almost always missing from these.

If you have one with all of that for $825 send it over!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 2:13 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Ron Ramirez wrote:
Yes, I know, I know. "Go look at the auction site." Well, as you probably know, there are more and more sellers posting radios for sale on there at absolutely ridiculous prices, so eBay can no longer be counted on as a fair indicator of current values.

There has never been any point in looking at "asking" or "starting" prices.

However, if you log in, then you can search "completed listings" and restrict the search to "items that sold", and that gives you a selling price. Compare those to completed listings that didn't sell and look at starting/BIN prices vs the quality of the offering. There's nothing fictional about most selling prices, so they should reflect the real pricing. Fictional? Some people complain about a certain guy who buffs and fluffs and seems to get unusually high prices, but his feedback is pretty good.....

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:39 am 

As I said - I am not at all knowledgeable on the value of a Radiola IV. This is why I asked for opinions, and I did not get any opinions on that model until I bloviated a bit about the auction site prices I had found and why I left the super-high prices out of my average. Only by doing that did someone come out of the woodwork on that particular model.

If you folks think a Radiola IV is worth $1200+, that's fine - please say so. But it would also mean I would not be seeking that model.

I'm trying to choose my words carefully so this does not get construed as a "wanted" ad which it is not. I am merely seeking opinions of fair prices for, let us say, a "decent" Radiola IV. By that I mean a "20-footer" (that looks good from 20 feet away), has open audio transformers, no tubes or dud tubes, but otherwise complete. Front panel might have a few flaws but not a wreck. Missing antenna/ground plugs would be acceptable as would poor/missing grille cloth. Does that help? :)

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

This one?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.07.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.07.00 AM.png [ 673.71 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:10 pm 

Yes, Kirk. Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:23 am 

Curious, a search of that listing by item no. or seller doesn't turn up anything. Maybe very old listing or seller is no longer on ebay? Anyway, that particular Radiola IV does not have the vernier knob. Very few of those exist. A good find for whoever bought it.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 08, 2021 1:54 am 

I just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to my initial questions, especially Mike (Indiana Radios), Rodney (palegreenthumb), wazz, and Kirk (OldRestorer). Thanks in no small part to your advice (as well as a "WTB" ad in Radio Clubhouse), a Westinghouse RC is now on its way to me from another ARF member. :D

As for the Radiola IV - maybe someday - we shall see. There is no rush.