Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 09, 2021 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg DS160 Jukebox - poor sound
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 7:04 pm 

Hi
I have a Seeburg DS160 jukebox that works mechanically excellent but the sound has a distinct humming.
Not sure if this is a tube problem or capacitors.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Larry

Post subject: Re: Seeburg DS160 Jukebox - poor sound
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 2:59 am 

larrydvorak wrote:
I have a Seeburg DS160 jukebox that works mechanically excellent but the sound has a distinct humming. Not sure if this is a tube problem or capacitors. Any suggestions?
First welcome to the forums.

It is almost always the power supply capacitors unless they have already been replaced in just the last few years. It is almost never tubes.

Electrolytic capacitors are subject to aging independent of being used. In fact they tend to last longer when used more, but either way they age. This results in loss of capacitance and increased leakage current through the insulating dielectric material. Boith of these lead to loss of filtering of the rectified AC into nice smooth DC. Therefore hum becomes an issue. Eventually the leakage current gets excessive leading to a complete short circuit and potentially the failure of other much more expensive components (capacitors are relatively cheap).

So, I would get the documentation for your particular jukebox if available and prepare to buy some capacitors. If you spend more than $20 on capacitors I will be surprised, and it will be money well spent.

I saw a downloadable DS160 manual advertised here for $15... https://www.jukeboxmanuals.com/seeburg.html I have no idea how good it is or if there are other better options.

Curtis Eickerman

Post subject: Re: Seeburg DS160 Jukebox - poor sound
PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:15 am 

This model jukebox requires replacement of all electrolytic capacitors as well as all tubular paper capacitors which will all be leaky. In addition, there are a number of high-value resistors which will have drifted significantly high and will need to be replaced.

The good news is that once done, the sound quality will be excellent.

-David