Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 14, 2022 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whiter Shade of Pale musings...
PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2022 3:20 am 

Was sad to hear that the lead singer of Proco Harum passed away last week. I remember years ago there was some rumors that their number one hit, Whiter Shade of Pale, had more verses than the record had. Well, I've been doing some searching on the 'net, and sure enough there is gobs of information about this! Thank you, internet! It seems there are extra verses they sometimes sang in concert, but the original song was cut down for the record length. There are several videos on the 'net that shows the group playing the extended versions in concerts. Also read that the single has sold over 10 million copies. Also, that song is the most played song in England for over 70 years. Amazing that a group of youngsters debut record was a smash, but to this day there is still a lot of talk about what the song really meant!

Post subject: Re: Whiter Shade of Pale musings...
PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2022 4:28 pm 

The song came out in 1967, so people haven't been listening to it for 70 years

PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2022 4:39 pm 

That song was used in lots of movies, but most people would not recognize it by Procol Harem. My favorite is Conquistandor, the Denmark version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-zti_qAHsA

PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2022 8:10 pm 

To mblack. The song is the most played of any song in 70 years, according to the article I read. They weren't talking specifically about Whiter Shade of Pale being 70 years old! It's equivalent to saying its been 70 years since a song was played this often.