Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 27, 2019 4:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 11, 2006 7:17 pm 

Alan Douglas wrote:
Western Electric 509 phones were top quality and rather expensive. I'd guess that a kid built that crystal set later and scrounged the phones from someone who had long since bought a tube radio with a speaker.

By the general construction, and materials used, the "kid" was using 1920's-vintage components, too. I'm pretty sure this is a 1920's-era set. Nothing says these phones originally were used with this radio, either. They were just with it when I got the radio.

If it was a kid, that built it, it was a kid with good craftsmanship skills, who had enough money to buy decent components. There is very little that is "crude" in its construction. Wish I had a way to post a picture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 11, 2006 8:07 pm 
RKnack wrote:
Quote:
Wish I had a way to post a picture...

If you can e-mail me a picture or two I'll be happy to post them. Someone on the forum might be able to add a bit of information about your set.

Dale
hertzsogood>@<aol.com
(remember, ya gotta get the red out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 11, 2006 8:25 pm 
Joe Cro N3IBX wrote:
Quote:
When did the American public STOP using their battery powered sets originally purchased in the 20's? This would include regens, "3 dialer" TRF sets, etc etc.

I have found a few sets (mostly late 20's single dial models) that still had batteries in them with dates or date-codes in the mid-late 1940's.

As already suggested: - - - - I think the area of the country had a lot to do with "when" they were finally retired. Some places didn't receive electric service till the early 1950's and there were likely sections in those areas where the economy was so poor the owners of battery sets just couldn't afford the upgrade.

Farm and country folks in my neck of the woods adheared to the theory:

Quote:
"If it's working, why spend the moeny to replace it?"

Then too - - - - there are a silly few of us who are still using them.....(grin).... :oops: :lol: :roll:

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 11, 2006 8:52 pm 
Quote:
Then too - - - - there are a silly few of us who are still using them....

There IS something sort of satisfyinging listening to current TALK RADIO through a TIN HORN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 11, 2006 9:07 pm 
Silent Key

I have been patiently waiting for someone to say what Dale said! This week's winner, Dale!
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2006 4:44 am 
RKnack wrote:

Quote:
"Slightly off topic, but when did crystal sets become pretty much obsolete? I have a nicely built homebrew from the 1920's. It has a big coil inside, wound with a single winding of heavy cotton-covered wire, and taps taken off it for tuning using a pair of old-time rotary-type switches - the type with the nickle-silver contacts that mount directly to the front Bakelite panel. It has 4 binding posts: one pair for the Western Electric 509W phones, and one each for the antenna and ground. The detector is an enclosed type, an "R-W", made by Central States Engineering of Chicago, Il."

and:

Quote:
"If it was a kid, that built it, it was a kid with good craftsmanship skills, who had enough money to buy decent components. There is very little that is "crude" in its construction. Wish I had a way to post a picture..."

Here are pictures of the set and an advertisement for the "R-W Detector" from Radio News, Feb. 1923.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2006 5:13 am 

Like Alan, I started my collection with an AK 20C I bought some 30 years ago.

My father was born in 1909 and was bitten by the "radio bug" early on. As a teenager he worked in a hardware store. As the "youngster" he was the only employee who understood "radio". He was the guy who helped sell some of those battery sets, set them up in folks homes and went on the service calls. So...whar else would I start my collection with?

Since then I've added a Crosley 51, a Radiola III, an Weatinghouse Senior, a Grebe MU-1 (later model with chain) and a Metrodyne Super 5. Sure, I have many sets from the 30's and 40's, but I'm always on the lookout for a decent battery set from the 20's (a Freshman Materpiece would be nice). Like Steve, I'd like to find an early crystal set, too.

I'd also think that an early superhet would be a nice addition as an historic link in the chain of the development of the radio art.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 12, 2006 6:38 am 

Dale L Davenport wrote:
[
Quote:
Then too - - - - there are a silly few of us who are still using them.....(grin).... :oops: :lol: :roll:

Dale

Dale - Count me in with that group too! I rotate a battery set for information during power failures that are quite frequent around here. I had an AK 33 in that position, and replaced it with a HB regen with a 3 step tuner. Next It'll be the Arborphone 27 or something else that'll "sing for it's supper" through a AK model M horn.

It's just an excuse to tell my wife the real reason why I NEED more battery sets. You know honey, these things are old and could have a crap out at anytime...................
Best Regards,
Joe Cro N3IBX

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3