Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Meters, meters, everywhere.........
PostPosted: Apr Mon 14, 2003 5:15 pm 

Hi All,<BR>I'm still looking for an exact replacement for the 50ua meter in my Sprague TO-6. The exact replacement sells for $100 new, so I'm in the market for a "pre-owned" one. The question is, what other types of meters are likely to have a 50ua movement? What about voltmeters, vu meters, watt meters, you name it? Since i'm going to replace the meter face with the original Sprague part, I don't care how the meter is labled, only thet it is<BR>the right size and has a 50ua movement.<BR>Any ideas?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Mon 14, 2003 6:23 pm 

Hi Ben,<BR>Have you checked with Gary Schneider at "Playthings of the Past" <A HREF="http://www.oldradioparts.com" TARGET=_blank>www.oldradioparts.com</A> <P>In his heading "Panel Meters" he has five or six meters listed at 0-50uA, with original manufacturer, part number, and dimensions. Whether you buy from him or not, looking through these might at least give some clues as to their application in other equipment.<P>------------------<BR>Poston

PostPosted: Apr Mon 14, 2003 8:22 pm 

Any voltmeter of 20k ohms per volt by definition has a 50µA movement (Ohm's Law). A VU meter might. Cheap meters may make 50µA but have too much internal resistance, so you might want to go for military surplus (Fair Radio Sales?) rather than some Far Eastern wonder.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Tue 15, 2003 2:31 am 

Playthings of the past has one listed that looks like it may work, The number is 1448-002.<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Tue 15, 2003 2:39 am 

I bought a few Russian military surplus meter movements from a fellow on eBay. His ID is kwtubes. Anyway, you'll pay maybe $5-$7 for one, and the ones I 'won' were very nicely put together. I have 100uA and 50uA, so I know he has those. I checked now quickly, and he hasn't got any 50uA for auction right now. However, he has a website, so maybe he'll just sell one outright. He has a flat shipping of $7, but a total of $12 isn't bad. He has a lot of interesting surplus items, and everything I've bought so far seems just fine. Ask, or be patient and look on eBay. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Wed 16, 2003 5:28 pm 

Thanks for the leads guys. I've been running searches on Ebay, but seem to never find the Tru-view style meter. Playthings of the Past actually has a Sprague meter listed, but the description of the scales doesn't match my TO-6, so I assume its from an earlier model Tel-Ohmike. I'll keep an eye on Fair Radio Sales and KW Tubes. All things come to those who wait.... I'm just not very good at waiting.<BR>Ben<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Apr Wed 16, 2003 9:29 pm 

I took another look at my TO-6 meter. An odd duck. No maker's name on it either (what a vote of confidence). I have a couple of 50-0-50µA meters of that physical size (no maker's name on them either) but the scale-mounting screws are in a different place. Otherwise, not a single meter in my junk box looks like this one. Is there a manufacturer's name on anybody's TO-6 meter?<P>Your best bet is buying a junker TO-6.<P>------------------<BR>