Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 26, 2019 4:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: B&K 1076 / 1077 TV Analyzer
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 1:16 am 

Some of us have discussed B&K TV Analyzers recently in the Antique TV discussions.

I noticed about four for sale on eBay at various and reasonable prices recently after I recently bought a 1077 myself.

With the death of analog television transmission these instruments are ideal for the guy who wants to play with old TV’s.

The analyzer was made in three flavors models 1000, 1076, 1077(B). The 1000 about 1951 with the 1077 made with late 1960’s technology. All tube technology.

They incorporate a “flying-spot Scanner” which scans a test pattern slide (Download a historical test pattern and print it on transparency add your name).

The unit then puts out low power RF signals on both VHF and UHF channels, and IF frequencies. Since the unit contains a picture tube and the associated sweep circuitry, they also have outputs for video, sync, Horizontal drive and all those things needed to work on an old B&W TV especially since there are no analog VHF channels anymore.

The one I bought worked perfectly; it seems like the kind of thing a TV shop would keep in good condition.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 6:34 pm 

Hmm ... thought I was subscribed to this site, many moons ago, but darned if I can discern what my login was. Oh well. So I'm new but not.

There were also the B&K 1074 and 1075 Analysts, prior to the 1076. I'd suggest that anyone serious about using one as intended might avoid any older than a 1076, and even that is pushing it since there are plenty of 1077s around. The parts are getting old and a number of them are unobtainium. Make sure the CRT is strong since I suspect it's much more difficult to find than the phototube. The other tubes are mostly series-string TV junk.

There's also a bit of confusion about differences between the 1077 and 1077B. I can't address that since I haven't owned both but I do have a "composite", as B&K calls it, for the 1077. That's the oft-missing extra brochure with the schematic and parts list. I received it directly from B&K and it was requested specifically for the 1077B. It's printed as being for the 1077 but hand-marked by someone at B&K for the 1077B. There are no mark-ups showing any difference between the two models.

It's a later edition, a dash 1S, and I guess I'll stick my neck out far enough to offer it to anyone who NEEDS it, as a 246kB PDF. I do not have the manual available but would suggest the 1077() book over the others since at over 100 pages it's about twice as thick and has a bunch of applications info. B&K also published a paperback book written around using the Analyst. It's "Television Analyzing Simplified" by Milton Kiver.

Fred

Last edited by Fred Olsen on Oct Thu 01, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:49 pm 

Wow, I had no idea they kept re-issuing the thing that many times.

I have a really old Model 1000 Analyzer which I have been flogging like a dead horse and do have working but not well. I buckled recently and bought a 1077B on eBay which works real nice.

My 1077B came with a manual labeled 1077 which did contain a separate sheet with the schematic and parts list but no sheet with the waveforms which was probably also a separate sheet.

My 1077B has an RCA 4422 phototube in it which puts out twice the video level as a 931A/B which plugs directly in the socket and works. We find no knowledge for the 4422 phototube anywhere and I have the RCA / Burle photomultiplier handbook.

The schematic that came with my 1077 manual does not identify the type of the phototube; It has a label “MODELl 1077 488-081-9 G” near the center of the page printed on 11X17 paper.

The schematic also shows an 8GC7 as the horizontal oscillator tube. I assume this to be an 8CG7 in reality but if anyone has an actual 8GC7 I’ll take one.

The schematic shows a pair of transistors probably being a squaring amplifier in the vertical oscillator as well as a TO-3 size transistor as the regulator for an adjustable bias supply.

The rest of the unit is tubes which are series string on a single filament winding on the power transformer. There is a tap at 6.3 volts running three 12 volt tubes connected for 6 volts and a 6CB6. All the tubes in the series are the late 60’s crap-TV tubes including 6GH8’s. The CRT is also in the string. The 6GH8 provides a soft-start ballast and I don’t care if I kill one of those. All the tubes in my 1077 have the Dynascan logo still intact.

The most useful part of this is a broadcast test pattern on a TV channel in the low VHF band.

I would like to see a scan of the marked “1077B” schematic if you have one, I will email you my direct email.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2009 1:26 am 

I've suspected that there were no significant differences between the 1077 and 1077B, or perhaps no differences at all beyond normal evolution of parts in a long production run. If your manual was likely original to your unit I doubt you need a different version of the schematic but I'll send it. It's actually the parts list which has been marked 1077B.

The rev number appears to be the last segment of the publication number of the 'compo', which is usually on the bottom of the first page of the parts list. I have both 499-004-9-001, with P/L 488-081-9-002B and schematic 488-081-9-001B, and 499-004-9-001S, with P/L 488-081-9-002S and skiz 488-081-9-001L. (Don't blame me - I didn't design their document control system!)

I thought the waveform page was in the manual but since you said you didn't have it I asked a friend for it today and can now also send that and the tube voltage chart.

I have nothing on the 4422 but would be interested in seeing data. I don't know if Ludwell Sibley or any other of the TCA members are on here but they'd be the ones to ask. The horz osc is indeed an 8FQ7/8CG7, in fact the P/L lists it as 8FQ7. The older skiz also calls the horz out a 21JZC. Remember, this isn't Tek or HP.

Waiting for your address.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2009 11:42 am 

I have 3 1077B's and manuals for two. One I purchased from the original owner and it came with its original manual. I'll have to do some investigating to see if there are any differences in the three as I may be interested in some of your documentation, especially the waveform page(s).

Thank you for your post, I have found this (as Artie Johnson would say) verrrrry interesting!

"Investing in the future by preserving the past"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2009 6:30 am 

Jim and Bob, if you gents want copies of this data I'll need PMs or something with email addresses, and the specifics of what you need. Preferably before I forget what it's about or where I've put something.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2009 12:50 pm 

Fred,
Thanks for the offer but when I looked at my last one I purchased for a "soon-to-close" TV shop, I found the loose waveform page inside the front of the manual. I guess I won't be needing a copy after all.

Of the three units I have, they are all 1077B's, two of them came with manuals marked 1077, and the third didn't have the manual. Someday when I get involved with the third unit's electrical repair, I should have the time to see if there are any differences in the production of the "B" versus the schematic in the manuals.

"Investing in the future by preserving the past"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2009 5:18 pm 

I couldn't resist yet another 1077B analyzer for $9.99 and notice there are several more listed including a 1075 for $9.99 (you know where) as a Buy-now. The 1075 appears to be similar to my crusty 1000 which would use a metal chassis with better tubes and no PC boards.

I only plan to end up with one of these in as good a condition as I can get and the rest will be passed on.

In the age of no broadcast analog TV these make a great piece of test equipment for those of us who maintain a 1940’s TV repair bench :)

My next step is to print out some vintage test patterns on transparencies.

Part of the improvement of the 1077 series is the video and sync are much better. The 4422 photo multiplier is better performing than the 931A tube and the B&K official tube is even better than the 4422 mystery phototube. This means the brightness on the CRT can be way low and still get a good noise free picture and see all the way down to 4 MHz on the resolution wedge.

Jim