Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Eagle??
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 3:41 am 

Anyone heard of this brand? A local thrift has what looks like a shortwave receiver and amp. The name is browning, didn't write the model number down. She also had an ev mic, looked like the shure big boper but was bigger. I wanted to buy them today but she couldn't find them on ebay and said she will call me with a price tomorrow. So sad she could have made more money before I knew what they were. Can you guys clue me in on price and what it is? I will see if I can find a photo on the net.

***after googling I see that its a browning eagle not sure which one, it did have a rather large mic plug on the front.

Last edited by cooljjay on Jan Wed 28, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 3:52 am 

You don't mean Browning, do you, which is vintage CB stuff?

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 4:18 am 

Geoff Fors wrote:
You don't mean Browning, do you, which is vintage CB stuff?

Got me thinking, it probably is browning, I should have grab a pen and paper, it had a thumb wheel tuning dial, I was thinking PA system but then I notice the dials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 4:56 am 

I remember the Browing Eagle. Big John had one in the old CB days.
You could adjust the unit where it would squeal when you keyed the mike.
Whats it worth???????? to me 25 bucks, for a collector interested maybe + 200 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 5:22 am 

Ah yes, the Browning Eagle "ping". I clearly remember this from my CB days. I had a lowly Heathkit GW-22 (5 channels) back in the late 60s/early 70s.

Then I Got A Life. Haven't used a CB since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 6:59 am 

browning eagle cbs are worth bucks on ebay. look into it. its got to be a 23 or 40 chnl though. if it is you should nab it even if your not interested in cb. they are good seller at hamfests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 7:10 am 

I will see what she wants. It would give me a good profit as you say. But since she is searching ebay I have no idea what figure she will pull out of the air. Its funny the stuff was free, she doesn't own the place, and the money benifits the human society. So what doesn't she just take my offer and move on. I really want the microphone its a electro voice cardyne II Model 731 or 726.

photo from k-bay106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 9:33 am 

The Browing Eagle comes in two sections, the transmitter and the receiver. They were the top of the line in the 70's costing around $800. They have quite a following and prices keep going up.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 12:53 pm 
Silent Key

It really sets me off to see someone waiting for a price to show up for a similiar item on Ebay! We all know that Ebay selling prices vary from day to day, and often drastically and we also realize what Ebay has done general prices in the world of collecting items.

I would have offered her $50 or $75 for it, take it or leave it, and wave the cash at her.

If you paid what she could find on Ebay, then, later if you went to sell it, it would be very hard to sell it and make a profit because people then would know what they are worth on Ebay.

For me, when I am dealing with someone over something, and the subject of Ebay comes up, that is the time I turn around and walk off.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 6:39 pm 

We have plenty of that type of seller at the California hamfests, too. They want eBay prices without the need to compose an ad, pay the fees, deal with PayPal, pack the item and drive it to the shipping point, and deal with unreasonable eBay buyers. They are also the ones who haul everything back home at the end of the flea market.

Equally annoying are the people who will post a message to one of the newsgroups saying something like "To give the list members first chance at it, I am selling my Hallicrafters SX-FUBAR for $ XYZ. If it doesn't sell here, it is going to eBay." The only problem is, the price listed is usually twice what it would ever bring on eBay.

Thrift stores can be equally bad. They usually have no idea how to price anything and often some "helpful" customer will say "Oh, why that's worth a fortune!" This is the same person who has no interest in buying the item. Back in the 1960's, my local DAV thrift store somehow acquired a carload of mlitary surplus gear from some ham's estate. Mostly Command Sets in unused and un-hacked condition. But...they wanted $ 100 each, for anything! In 1969 that was a king's ransom for it, and even today that exceeds eBay levels for all but rare items. They never sold a single item and apparently dumpstered it all one day. What a waste...

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Last edited by Geoff Fors on Jan Wed 28, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 7:05 pm 
Silent Key

Boy, that was worse than a king's ransome! Back then Fair Radio Sales was selling Command Set receivers, new,still in the original boxes for $4.95 a piece! I think the transmitters were $5.95 for a used one and $7.95 for a NIB unit. And even the used ones were just used, not hacked like after a ham got their hands on them.

Yes, I have been known to simply cut off the conversation and walk away with the seller still jabbering as soon as I hear that Ebay word.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 28, 2009 7:31 pm 

Yeah I can't wait to get the call with the price, this should be jaw dropping. my father was with me that day and he over heard me telling here what somethings are worth hallicrafters shure, he said why did you tell her that, now you'll never get them. I said it doesn't matter she is checking ebay. theres no way I will get them for the 50$ I was going to give her. I didn't want to leave there with out a price, I kept telling her that I know I will come back and they will be gone, she said thats not fair she will hold them for me, but if someone walked in with the right offer she would sell them. but hey I could have bought a smashed zenith for 10$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 2:14 am 

There have been four models of Browning known as the Golden Eagle

http://browningeagle.com/home has pictures of all of them. The Model B is also called the Mark I sometimes. The IV is a strange hybrid set that has a digital tuning section, apparently its the most problematic of the bunch. The Mark II and Mark III are very nice units with stellar receivers. The transmit side was very clean sounding when set up properly, though some people hacked them to crank a few more watts, usually at the expense of audio quality. I've never heard one in action on SSB, but on AM they really sound nice. Another annoying "trick" was to swap out the capacitor that makes it ping for some large value one, which extends the feedback squeal into this long shreiking noise that makes your ears bleed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 3:03 am 

I hate when people are trying to sell something locally and in person and when you try to make offers, they say "well let me see what it gets on eBay".
I had someone who was supposedly trying to sell a sort of classic car do this to me.
I said I don't have time to play foolish games here's my last offer, take it or leave it.
They left it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 4:41 am 

ok guys...

we all like money, we all like saving money (specially us cheapskate hams) and we all like to make money.

i think theres a bit of complaining going on around here about somebody doing something that many of us would do as well, check the value of an item before selling it.

theres nothing wrong with someone making sure they dont lose their arse in a deal they may later regret.

they want to look on ebay, so be it. make your offer, plea your case and walk away if no deal. you cant get mad at someone because they 're looking out for their own best interests.

just being fair...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 5:12 am 

ke4mcl wrote:
i think theres a bit of complaining going on around here about somebody doing something that many of us would do as well, check the value of an item before selling it.

This is true, but remember it is a thrift store, that gets everything for free, and the main purpose of the thrift store is to bring in money to feed the animals. Better to sell it off now for 50$, then to sit on it for 5 years trying to get 300$ for it. while the animals starve.

Another thing is alot of this stuff doesn't sell in california, there isn't many shortwave stations left, and there is very few ham people left. Its something that just won't sell. I will give an example, I bought a record collection all the 33rpm records are country, I tried to sell the local for 10$ a collection. Didn't get one taker, put them all on ebay they sold with in no time, the bidders were all back east Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas, Virgina, were here in California you can't give them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 5:25 am 

Just curious whats the status of CB today.???????
All my receivers cut off before I get to the CB band. I remember it used to be very wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 7:35 am 

cb is not as popular as it was but theres still plenty of folks on it. the golden eagle is one of those radios that most hardcore cb'ers know and want. kinda like a 60's GTO in a car nut crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 29, 2009 1:40 pm 
Silent Key

Jason- "there are very few ham people left" in California? Sorry, but I just can't believe a statement like that. The U.S. was divided up into nine call area districts back in the 1960's and the 6th district included Arizona and California. After hams got back on after WW2, the tenth call district was created and Arizona became a member of the 7th district, leaving California the only state in the union to have its own unique district. This was because of the number of hams in California.

I don't have any present day statistics, but I am sure that California still contains the most hams in one single state than any other state. Heck, they were completely thru the WA6 prefixes and issuing WB6 prefixes when the 7th district was still issueing K7 prefixes!

But back to the original topic. I don't care whether it is the pet shelter, or Joe Blow down the street. If they are trying to sell something and get a reasonable amount of money from it, then it is strictly up to them, the seller, to do a little bit of research to find out what an item may be worth BEFORE even putting a for sale sign on it, not after they have already had inquires as to how much do they want for something.

You don't go into a grocery store and load up with your groceries, not knowing the price and the clerk at the checkout stand puts a price on them after consulting with others!
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 01, 2009 4:57 am 

Here it is, 2 hour conversation and taking a week. i got the mic, both pieces and a 60's lamp for 69$. The same little hands that broke the sansui have been into this, power cords missing cabinet isn't properly screw together, not sure what the insides look like. I may sell it seeing that I had to use my emergency credit card, if she would have just given me a price monday :roll: I will keep the mic though, he did etch his name into the side and the ev badge by the switch is gone and its scratched up. I will give it a polish later on.