Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 3:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Webcor Musicale
PostPosted: Jun Sat 13, 2009 9:49 pm 

I picked up another one of these last weekend and just now getting around to posting it. Its a Webcor Musicale. It played as found but i went ahead and recapped it and installed new motor mounts. I also replaced the two rubber mounts in the tonearm base because the tonearm was sitting crooked. When done i was presented with a fantastic sounding machine which is no surprise for a Webcor. These have a factory GE VRII magnetic triple play cartridge installed and also has dual speakers so the sound quality is excellent. This model changer also has damped set down so no slamming of the records whether for record drop or tonearm set down. I know these are common, in fact this is the second one that i own. This one was in such nice cosmetic condition that i couldnt pass it up for $25 and it included a cart that it sits on. Do any of you have one of these and if so, whats your thoughts?
-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 13, 2009 10:38 pm 

That's a nice looking set. My very first record player at age 9 was a Webcor. I couldn't tell you the model number...it was too many moons ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 13, 2009 10:50 pm 

My first "real" record player was a 55 Webcor Holiday portable with the Magic Mind changer and dual speaker mono amp. Except for the noisy double tier idler wheels, i've been a fan of Webcor's since the beginning. The Musicale's changer is the older type with the older single idler so is quiet as a mouse. I know some of these had aux inputs and also had a bass control. I can only imagine how they sound. RCA Ortho's are nice but i never am able to find those around here.
-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 13, 2009 11:46 pm 

Nice machine you've got there.

Love Webcor's because they're so solidly built (atleast up through 50s; never worked on any later ones)

- Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 14, 2009 4:55 am 

Webster-Chicago (Webcor) Musicales came in a few different forms. I've seen them in portable cases, as well as other table model cabinets besides the one shown. As I recall, the amplifiers had transformer power supplies, so that puts them a notch above the Columbia 360.

They, and the 360, were the beginning of a sort of "renaissance" of record players that put some pretty nice stuff on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 14, 2009 5:01 am 

Mine looks like that and I think it has three knobs instead of two. It's buried in the shop waiting to be restored. I do remember it having a power transformer with a PP - 6V6 amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 14, 2009 5:16 am 

If yours has three knobs on the front then it has a bass control. The tape output and external speaker jack were controlled by switches on the back like the RCA Orthophonics for those that had them. Mine has two 6V6's in PP with two 12AX7's and 5Y3 for the rectifier. Its a transformer set.
-Tony

Post subject: Re: Webcor Musicale
PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2015 3:43 pm 

Does anyone know where I can get the rubber grommets for the motor and tonearm on this Webcor Musicale?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2015 4:07 pm 

The Voice of Music website appears to list both:

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... mounts.asp

PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2015 5:49 pm 

I have a couple Musicales, the original version with 2 knobs, and the early changer with the index arm,
and a slightly later portable, with a chrome changer with a semaphore.
some versions of the Columbia 360- (maybe the original version) do have transformer powered amps, I have one of those. it has a webcor changer, electrostatic tweeters, and GE VR cartridge also. The first Webcor Musicale seems to have been launched to compete with the original version Columbia 360 which was a huge hit in the market. they seem to have kept that version in production as a top of the line model for a few years, even though most production had changed to the cheaper version with Vm changer, ceramic cart, and hot chassis amp.