Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 06, 2020 11:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What about Wurlitzer? See chassis pic, whatzit??
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 3:14 am 

I have the opportunity to buy a Wurlitzer high boy cabinet radio from the mid 20's. It is non operational and has similar 7 tubes, maybe O1A's but I'm not sure. It looks like a TRF set. The cabinet looks to be in good condition and the chassis looks really nice, but no worky. The guy is asking $250. I can't find any info on this radio and little on early Wurlitzer radios. I can find plenty on their Pianos and Jukes, but nothing on this.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by smcmanus on Jan Fri 01, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 4:06 am 

Wurlitzer made the cabinet, but the radio will have been made by someone else. A picture or tube lineup would help with the radio ID. The more seasoned folks here, should be chiming shortly.

Last edited by radiopup on Dec Sat 19, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 6:09 am 

Is the radio called a Wurlitzer or a Lyric? Most of the Lyric radios were actually made by Wurlitzer, cabinet, and chassis, except the speaker perhaps.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 4:05 pm 

Sold one of these to a guy in Canada. It had Wurlitzer on the escutchen and a metal plate nailed on the back edge of cabinet with Lyric. If there ever was a mongrel that was it.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

I had a really nice Lyric Cathedral a couple years ago. It was a nice radio. However a High Boy Early Console like this... $250 Way overpriced is my opinion. $100 bucks on a good day maybe.

John k9uwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 7:39 pm 

The history of Wurlitzer radio is in vol.21 (2008) of the AWA Review.

Vol. 1, Radio Manufacturers of the 1920s, has a twenty-page chapter on All-American Mohawk, which tied to Wurlitzer and was eventually absorbed. Lyric was their trade name in 1929 so I would hardly call it a mongrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 19, 2009 7:56 pm 

Alan Douglas wrote:
The history of Wurlitzer radio is in vol.21 (2008) of the AWA Review.

Vol. 1, Radio Manufacturers of the 1920s, has a twenty-page chapter on All-American Mohawk, which tied to Wurlitzer and was eventually absorbed. Lyric was their trade name in 1929 so I would hardly call it a mongrel.

Then its not a Wurlitzer and has noting to do with the manufacturer, put Lyric on the escutchen. That console had more repwood on the front, one ugly duckling. Fish mouth escutchen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 25, 2009 5:03 pm 

I'm still thinking about this radio. I can't post the picture. It doesn't resemble anything I've seen so far. I'd like to email the picture to someone who can post it for me. Anyone?

Thanks
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Fri 25, 2009 11:01 pm 

Quote:
I'm still thinking about this radio. I can't post the picture. It doesn't resemble anything I've seen so far. I'd like to email the picture to someone who can post it for me. Anyone?

Send me any and all pics you have to my E-Mail addy and I'll post them for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 26, 2009 12:09 am 

Here are the Wurlitzer / Lyric photos for Steve.

I'd guess it to be a AC set from 1928 or 29. A tube lineup would help in locating the schematic. and perhaps a bit more information as well.

I personally like the set's looks. If or not it is electrically complete would affect the value - - good tubes, no burned components such as transformers, chokes or speaker fields - - - these can considerably diminish what a set is potentially worth in the market place.

On the plus side as well, this set looks to be in good physical condition, and best of all, the cosmetic bits such as dial scale, escutcheon and knobs all seem to be in good shape. These things can drive up repair/refurbishment costs in a hurry.

I think the set is attractive but what it is worth to the buyer and seller is where the deal is made. You might try offering less and see what happens - - the wost the seller can say is NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 26, 2009 12:38 am 

The cabinet looks very nice in Dale's photos.

In the past year I have become much more interested in the nice wood designs and veneers used in the late 1920's and early 1930's cabinets. This one looks like a nice original survivor to me.

Its just me but I would like to see more photos of that cabinet showing off its charms. Ya just have to like that one blue Arcturus tube too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 4:52 pm 

bump......Please see the pics. I'm still thinking about it.

Happy New Year
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 6:37 pm 

I don't know if this set has any pot-metal in it, but look carefully for distorted, flaking, crumbling castings if it does. I have a Radiola 22 that has a really distorted chassis, and it is a common failure point for other Radiolas of the late 20's where the tuning mechanism siezes up from pot-metal disease. Not all pot-metal is like that, there must have been different formulations, but when it starts to go, I don't think there is any cure.

--Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2010 3:04 am 

I have two of that, or a very similar All American Mohawk chassis - one in its cabinet, and one missing the cabinet. My ets are both the 9 tube chassis (8 plus rectifier). The one with the cabinet, which is very nice, is a square box with a partial top, kind of a square Radiola 18 look. There is inlay on the cabinet, in thin strips. I had yet another, and gave it to a friend, John Kusching (also a ARF member).

The tuning capacitor gang is steel, not pot metal, at least if it is the same as in the one radio and one loose chassis I have.

The dial scale on your unit looks OK, but if not, Radio Daze sells them.

I believe, from reading the literature and the schematics, that the All-American Mohawk 9-tube chassis was used in the table Model 80 or 84 or console Model 83, 85, or 86. It was also used in a Wurlitzer radio which is a rectangular box, with the two parts of the power supply and amplifier chassis on opposiye ends oft eh radio chassis, making something even more like an over-sized Radiola 18. There are photos of it in an article in Antique radio Classified:

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Jun02_Jukebox_Wurl.html

Here is link to All American Mohawk schematics on Nostalgia Air:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/799/M0028799.htm

Here is my All American Mohawk in its cabinet:

Here the other chassis, when I bought it (filthy, and installed in an RCA 106 speaker cabinet with a Rola speaker).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2010 7:49 am 

Dale Davenport wrote:
Here are the Wurlitzer / Lyric photos for Steve.

I'd guess it to be a AC set from 1928 or 29. A tube lineup would help in locating the schematic. and perhaps a bit more information as well.

I personally like the set's looks. If or not it is electrically complete would affect the value - - good tubes, no burned components such as transformers, chokes or speaker fields - - - these can considerably diminish what a set is potentially worth in the market place.

On the plus side as well, this set looks to be in good physical condition, and best of all, the cosmetic bits such as dial scale, escutcheon and knobs all seem to be in good shape. These things can drive up repair/refurbishment costs in a hurry.

I think the set is attractive but what it is worth to the buyer and seller is where the deal is made. You might try offering less and see what happens - - the wost the seller can say is NO.

So what would the tube lineup be, a row of #26s, a #27, a #71A, and a type 80? $250 sounds like a bit much, even though it is a fairly early console, if it doesn't actually play. The reason it may not play could be any number of problems, some of which could be expensive.
Happy Christmas
Happy New Year
Arran

Post subject: Re: What about Wurlitzer? See chassis pic, whatzit??
PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2013 9:45 am 

David, I'm a new collector, and I've understood the Mowhawk/Wurlitzer relationship as fact since I started a bit over a year ago. However, I think if you read this whole thread, it is clear that the connection was not as well established in 2009, nor as widely discussed as it is now. When you dig up 3.5 year old thread, some allowance must be made for the passage of time.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2013 12:46 am 

For your further amusement. Another lyric by Wurlitzer.

The sunset made it a lot more red than it is.

SA-120

I would say something snotty to keep the tone of the thread going, but I can't think of anything. (Hay I think that was snotty!)

Attachment:
0 B&A Lyric 120 (Medium).jpg
0 B&A Lyric 120 (Medium).jpg [ 100.08 KiB | Viewed 7157 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2013 12:58 am 

phlogiston ... Very nice that came out a real looker ! Is the SA-120 the chassis designation or the model ?

The one I brought home last night .

D39 "Tuscan"

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2013 7:04 am 

It has been a while, but I think that is the model. Anyway you can find the schematic using that number.

I think that there were 22 separate pieces of wood making up the legs. all with no glue left.