Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 07, 2022 1:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 20, 2010 11:03 pm 

Wow great stuff everyone this month!! Christmas coming early?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 21, 2010 1:23 am 

I ran a separate thread on 2 consoles I just picked up in Indiana last week but one of them is a rarely seen set so I thought I would post some photos of that one here:

Its a circa 1930 EH Scott AC10 set I bought from Ron Ramirez. I have never seen one in person before and this one is the 3rd of 3 versions made per the Jim Clarke Scott book-Introduced in Circa March 1930 so it was the last design before the better known AW12 Dual dial design of 1931.

Mine is serial number 1208, meaning I think it's the 208th one made. (on the EH Scott web site run by Kent King there is an identical set pictured in the same style cabinet but with a slightly higher serial number)

Its BC only and actually has 11 tubes in this version, 8 on the main chassis and 3 on the separate amp. A nice smallish Pedestal speaker too. Ron added the large tubes and I did a cleanup of the cabinet and copper screen grid after I got it home.

The cabinet's upper 1/2 is similar to the Milford cabinet but is not the same as the one in Jim Clarke's book on the lower 1/2.

However, this is now the 3rd cabinet of this exact design I know of so I now believe it is indeed a Scott cabinet but of unknown name at this time.

A nice addition to my collection. Thanks go to Ron for letting me acquire this from him.

I really enjoyed my trip through Indiana too and was surprised at all the Antique Malls-I hit 7 big ones with a few shown below also.

One had 600 booths and was over 50,000 square feet.

This one was actually in Illinois on the way home

At the GOLLER RANCH - I am the big fat guy on the left, John G is in the middle and Steve G on the right:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 21, 2010 4:02 pm 

Eileen and I were out going to some antique shops that have junk stuff, Our favorite stuff,
We bought a few things home.
Everything works as it should, The radio needs a recap but is functioning, And the operating room light is just way too much fun.
Peter and Eileen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Mon 22, 2010 2:39 am 

This month has been one of my more fruitful months. Here’s a listing of what I’ve acquired so far.

Image Image
Image Image
This excellent 1920s loop antenna first showed up on Ebay last month. It was part of a group of loop antennas that was being auctioned off on Ebay with a starting price of $1000. The auction failed to get any bids and when it ended, I contacted the seller and made an offer on just this antenna. He accepted my offer and was nice enough to wait for about a month until I was able to sell a few tubes on Ebay in order to raise the cash to pay him. Here it is. Normally there are two connecting wires from the antenna but a third wire can be connected, via a post located near the base of the antenna, in order to tap into the center of the windings. Many superhets require three connections to a loop antenna in order to work. This antenna came with the box, brochure and a factory made third wire with connecting pins at both ends. The original litz wire is in excellent condition.

Image Image
This 1920s Rola cone speaker I picked up on Ebay late last month. The grill cloth needed to be replaced because it was worn so I replaced it with a piece of grill cloth that originally came from a Brunswick Panatrope which I found in totally dilapidated condition a few years ago. The grill cloth exactly matched that of the original so I cleaned it in ammonia and mounted it on the baffle. It turned out great. You can hardly tell that the grill cloth had been replaced. The baffle and base of the speaker is in 100% original mint condition. This is now the second Rola speaker of this type that I own. Their great sounding speakers.

Image Image
This cute little Ross radio I found at the local Goodwill store. The cabinet is supposed to resemble one of those large living room console entertainment centers that were so popular during the 1960s and early 1970s.

Just a little Universal that I picked up in Fairmount, Indiana for $0.50.

I went to Cristys Auction in Indianapolis last week and bought these Heathkits. Some guy by the name of Steven Glaubenskee must have passed away and the auction house sold off his antique radio collection along with about a couple dozen Heathkit items, half of which were still unassembled and NIB. These are the Heathkits I got. A model GC-1005 clock and a model ID-1390 Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer, both of which use neon nixie tubes and are dated from 1973. I acquired four unbuilt kits which include a model IM-5284 Multi-Meter, a model IG-5282 Audio Generator, an model IB-5281 RLC Bridge, and a model IG-5280 RF Oscillator. All of the manuals for these four kits are copyrighted 1977.

This interesting unbuilt kit, which came in it's original box and dates from 1977, is an electronic biorhythm clock. Knowing your biorhythm along with your alpha and beta was a really big fad back in the 1970s and this little electronics kit came about as a result of that fad. I don’t think anybody really cares about their biorhythms anymore. I bet most people, today, don’t even know what biorhythm is. All they care about is getting out of this crazy recession and who’s going to be the next winner on Dancing with the Stars.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Jul Mon 29, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: More great finds
PostPosted: Nov Mon 22, 2010 10:06 pm 

I brought home another entire van load of misq electronics parts, pieces, service manuals, a B&K 600 (or 605) tube tester, and 2 antique radios Saturday.

Still have another few loads to go, including 2-3 TONS of service manuals (Sams & OEM stuff). I found maybe 20-30 PCE training video tapes and a couple of big boxes of OEM VCR service manuals, besides over 100 Sams VCR manuals. I also found 20+ binders full of PCE TV and audio manuals- the audio manuals are hard to find- all later model stuff. (The factory training courses I would have killed to get my hands on 15 years back!)
I'll probably have many duplicates to get rid of in the manual area once I have sorted things out.

This time I found another tube caddy buried in the mess; and several more boxes of NOS and used tubes too. :)

I thought I was a packrat, but this guy was far worse than I am LOL. There are still several rooms to sort thru, all literally piled up 6-8' high and packed solid I spend most of the day going thru one room from floor to ceiling. Lots of good lod TV parts and what appears to be 2 Zenith 9-160 main chassis NIB.

Several tube type console radio/phonos and tv sets are there too, but these big consoles sure eat up the space. (Think I need another big garage).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 23, 2010 5:23 pm 

My first radio with a resistor line cord (curtain burner), and a bias cell - a Howard Model 58 from 1936. Here is teh schematic:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/325/M0009325.htm

An unusual chassis, offering shielding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2010 3:34 am 

I'm still using one of those Heathkit clocks with the neon displays; I built it back in 1976.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2010 7:29 am 

Took a ride (now yesterday) and wound up with two items I hadn't even been looking for. A circa 1956-57 Webcor 2612 "Royal Coronet" reel to reel tape recorder (a real boat anchor--must go 30+ lbs) original microphone, three speakers with a magic eye for $18.75
I know they are not real popular, but I do have some tapes I made a very long time ago and want to see if anything is left on them. Even the control knobs are diecast chrome!
The other item is a pair of Knight 2330 speakers. They have a 10" woofer, a 7" mid, and a 3" tweeter. At $10 for the pair I got suckered into them. I figured for the ten bucks I wanted to see if they worked, and they do. Two caps in each speaker, one 4uf and one 8uf @ 50v. Unusual in that both sides of the caps have + on them.
Lastly a box of old tubes one 2A5 with an adapter on it for replacing a 47 tube. "58 adaptol 2A5 to 47".

You never know, the month isn't over yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2010 7:58 am 

Gene, the caps show that they are non-polar, can be used either way to block the low frequencies. You can also place regular electrolytic caps together like that, they will do the same job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2010 10:50 pm 

ANNDD..................picked up the Westinghouse on the bay. For some reason I really like the looks of it. will be looking for two knobs for it but that's ok. Don't do well with the picture posting here so here is the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... MEWNX%3AIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 24, 2010 11:18 pm 

That is an unusual Westinghouse Gene, and here is an uncorrupted link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2010 1:58 am 

I found this yesterday for $4.35 - A nice Ingraham electric clock. It needs a dial glass - an ideas where to obtain one? Here is the same model now listed on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Self-Starting-Walnu ... 51967634e9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Thu 25, 2010 4:17 pm 

Thanks John :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 4:37 am 

Santa came early today. Picked this up off Craig's list. Not radio related but I've wanted one this size since I used one in 1990.
This one can be pointed manually or computer controlled. Can be used for terrestrial viewing also. Can't wait to get the camera mount for my digital camera. I've had a 4" telescope for years but could not see deep sky objects very well with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 4:47 pm 

That's quite a find. My buddy has been hunting for one of those for years. Well done!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 10:36 pm 

Very Nice telescope !

This Stromberg Carlson 240R was delivered to me today by a local big dog radio collector. I had purchased it sight unseen last month. It's one I have wanted to add to the collection for a while.

When I was living in Florida 2 years ago I had bought one from a Forum member who was leaving the state and had him deliver it to my radio man in Orlando, Dennis Williams to recap etc.

Dennis called me and said the cabinet was rougher than I had thought so I decided to donate that one to the local radio club as a fund raiser for them and never saw it in person.

This one came out of the Madison WI area and has been recapped; the original finish is a bit dirty and dusty so I will be cleaning it up this next week. It should be a real stunner once its cleaned up.

It's actually a lot smaller than I was expecting from the pictures of these I have seen. Ya gotta love that veneer SC used on these.

11 tubes counting the eye tube :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 1:52 am 

More giant speakers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 6:42 pm 

Just bought this of craigslist, have to pick it up next week.

Dosnt look too bad, seller stated that he has not tried it yet, told him please dont plug it in.

http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/v/Zeni ... h.bmp.html

And I thought I was done buying counsels..[/img]

Dennis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 8:09 pm 

While my wife was off shopping on Black Friday I was shopping, too. Found this off craigslist for $80 plus got two spare 201a tubes with it. Very nice condition Magnavox TRF-50.

Mark

Post subject: Sparton Found Under the Bed
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 10:25 pm 

After my wife's parents passed away, one of her sisters bought the house, and has been restoring it. My wife and she were cleaning out a bedroom that had not been used for about twenty years and found this Sparton Model 121, Chassis 89L under a bed. It doesn't seem like a particularly attractive radio to me, but it's an 8 tube AM/FM with phono input with an 8" oval speaker.

The chassis was loose inside the cabinet. When I pulled it out, I was glad to see the knobs were present. The photo was taken after I pulled the tubes and cleaned about twenty years of dust off the chassis and radio with a dry paint brush.

The chassis looks to be in fair shape, but has a good bit of rust to be cleaned away. The tube lineup is 6BE6, 7FB, 6BA6, 6BA6, 6AL5, 6V6, and 5Y3 full wave rectifier. It looks like the dial scale has shrunk and no longer fits, and I couldn't find a dial pointer anywhere.

I have another radio to finish before I can start on this one. I hope the transformer is good. I'm anxious to hear how this radio sounds.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 157 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next