Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 16, 2021 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiomuseum Signup
PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2012 8:46 pm 

Location: 261 Ventura Circle, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548 (Panhandle)
Recently, I tried to join Radiomuseum (the big one) and had an unbelievably difficult time trying to follow the instructions for joining and getting a password. Finally, I just gave up. Has anyone else had that experience? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Radiomuseum Signup
PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2012 8:51 pm 

Well, it looks like you failed the intelligence screening. :) How far didja get?

You must read through every page as you come to it. The instructions are all there and you should have no problem if you're not hurrying.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2012 10:23 pm 

It is a little involved but a very worthwhile investment of time and money. Access to good quality schematics and service information is a must for me.

Every expert was once a beginner

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 12:18 am 

I invested the time and money ($25) and never made it. It seems they would give me a temporary password, and when I tried to activate it, it expired. After a few rounds, I gave up, and then surprisingly they let me in. About 1 day later, I got a notice from them that I had made something like 5,000 requests for info on some Japanese tape deck I've never heard of. They revoked my membership.

Lately, I contacted the head soupnazi to see if I could try again, and he told me that my security had been compromised, and that I can never be a member. If I understood what in H*** he's talkiing about, I might pursue it further. This looks like the case of a woman who is assaulted and then is banned from society.

I just wondered if others have had a similar experience. :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 12:27 am 

I recently joined and had little difficulty. I have found over the years that , on occasion, I need a schematic that I cannot locate elsewhere. The radiomuseum helps me in that area.
My password was not emailed to me, but snailed mailed. However, I received the letter in less than a week, or about 5 business days. The Museum was already using some of my photos of radios that were taken from another source. Now, each time I complete a project I remit a photo of the radio and they add it to my collection page. Of course, I sure wish they had the 200+ radios that were completed and sold.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 12:28 am 

:shock:

Time for torches and pitchforks! :D

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 12:31 am 

I would never deal with people like that, it is a very poor was to do business.
I would not waste another $25 on it.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 12:44 am 

That's certainly not the usual experience in signing up. If an email to one of the directors doesn't get a personal response, you can try Tom Albrecht who is a member here and has in the past offered to be a go-between when necessary.

I thought the password was always snail-mailed.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 5:17 am 

Alan Douglas wrote:
...I thought the password was always snail-mailed.

...mine was...

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 6:31 am 

As far as I know passwords are always snail-mailed and Never emailed. The site is well worth the $25 signup fee and I would highly recommend joining. Ernest is a first class individual with a tremendous love for the hobby and this is not a business for him. The $25 doesn't put a dent in the costs of maintaining the site. As part of the bonus for joining you get a personal web page where you can upload photos of the radios in your collection for all to see.

The one thing I haven't been able to find at radiomuseum.org, is the section where the users go to snivel and or make fun of ebay/craigslist sellers. :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 6:49 am 

bigalarsen wrote:
As far as I know passwords are always snail-mailed and Never emailed. The site is well worth the $25 signup fee and I would highly recommend joining. Ernest is a first class individual with a tremendous love for the hobby and this is not a business for him. The $25 doesn't put a dent in the costs of maintaining the site.

I had no problem signing up although it was rather byzantine to get through it all. They have some pretty strange approaches to things and I haven't participated much over there but by golly, if you to look for something they usually have it. Certainly no one has made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.

ARF is a completely different deal, and much more of a wide-open forum than Radiomuseum. I haven't been posting here very long so I might have a more objective view of this forum. I have to say, there's a WHOLE LOT more decorum and general tolerance here than there is on a lot of similar niche hobby sites!

Brett

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 1:16 pm 

My language was a little strong, and I'm sorry. Mr. Erb is an outstanding gentleman, and seemed to bend over backwards to assist me, but it appears their system is so rockbound that it's like dealing with a huge bureaucracy.

Actually, I never got as far as the stage of receiving a password by mail. If I recall, in the process, they email a temporary P/W just to get started, and that temporary P/W seems to expire after the first time it's used. I found I was stumbling over details like the difference between my name and my username.

During the very time I was accepted, I was reminded sevaral times about the need to maintain some sort of balance between my requests for information and submission of "papers", but never was told just what they expect in a paper; in fact, I never got as far as seeing one of the so-called papers.

As to the security aspect, when they discharged me, they made it clear that I was an unfit citizen because some unknown party had made requests (hacked?) in my name. If I have read the message clearly, I am banned from the Radiomuseum for life! :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

I always have the feeling that I am not hearing the whole story-----Ernst Erb is a member here (last post Feb 8)----perhaps he will chime in and help explain this to us.
(He does not provide a link to his e-mail or PM)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 5:34 pm 

Similar complaints have been aired here before, several times. I've been a participant in quite a few of those discussions due to experiences not unsimilar to those reported by Alfred Corbin and other hopeful supplicants. The laundry was aired, but, in my case I don't know that a lot was gained in the airing - - however it was not for lack any of effort on Mr. Erb's part . Quite the opposite actually, Mr. Erb went to considerable and extra effort in his attempts to help me solve my problems and lack of understanding, and I am very much in his debt for the efforts.

During my participation in those discussions I exchanged several friendly and helpful PM's with Ernst Erb and found him to be a gracious and helpful Gentleman of the first water. Mr. Erb's efforts to assist me in my struggles to master their systems and methods were far beyond those I would have expected. Too, I must similarly commend the efforts of Tom Albrecht to both offer and lend aid where possible - - - trying to smooth the way for some who have experienced similar problems in the past.

While the systems of RM.Org are unfamiliar to many of us (particularly those of us with limited computer skills) I came to understand his/their positions and respect them and their operation greatly.

In short-form - - - I think RM.org isn't for everyone. They obviously are providing a valuable service to a great many enthusiasts and collectors worldwide though, and should be commended for their not-inconsiderable efforts and expenses in doing so. Just as it is with this site, RM.Org is a place to visit and the systems and methods they employ are - - theirs - - we are guests when we visit and due to the differences in language and cultures, not all things are going to be as we expect them to be.

For some of us, we must remain content to peek in through the (free) letter box opening (so to speak) and salve ourselves with occasional and partial glimpses of the goodies it holds.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 7:11 pm 

RadioMuseum seems a lot like the Playboy Mansion.

All of us would like to visit and be welcomed with open arms. But, in reality, just reading about it is all we are ever going to experience.

Dream on, you pathetic losers. Mr. Erb doesn't want you around, and has continually held the carrot just out of our reach.

BTW, does anyone happen to have Mr. Hefner's phone number?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2012 10:22 pm 

Been a member for some time. No problems , as long as I followed the sites instructions . It is worth the money :D

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2012 12:12 am 

Yes, the process to sign up is slightly more invloved. The reason is that the RM.org is trying to avoid having members that are not more dedicated antique radio collectors. I recently signed up and have already used the site for a number of schematics. I must say, however, that Antiquesradios gives us a very different give & take.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2012 2:01 am 

Alfred it is worth whatever it takes. I had similar problems with sign up but Ernest Erb walked me through the process. You must do every step in the proper order. With ARF and RM you've got most everything covered.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 25, 2012 5:00 am 

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Al Corbin's plight, so I checked with Ernst Erb to understand how things appeared from his side. Here's what I learned:

1. Ernst confirmed that Radiomuseum never sends out temporary passwords by email. They are always sent by postal mail. Security is one reason why this is done.

2. Al Corbin's login name and password ended up being posted publicly here: http://www.bugmenot.com/view/radiomuseum.org . You can still see the reference to Radiomuseum login info at that site. Don't worry -- whatever may still be listed there will no longer work at Radiomuseum.

3. This public posting of Al's login info ended up causing a serious security breach for Radiomuseum, and lots of content was basically stolen by nonmembers. It does not appear that Al downloaded the content himself (he was probably not even aware that it happened), but rather people in other countries using his login info downloaded tons of content.

It's awefully hard to know the exact details of how this sequence of events occurred, but indeed Ernst confirmed that Al will not be given another chance, simply because of the seriousness of the breach that occurred.

Ernst understands that what happened may have been the result of someone hacking into Al's system, or some other strange series of events. But he has to draw the line somewhere. It's a shame if Al was an innocent bystander for the most part, but such is life.

Word to the wise: Be careful with your Radiomuseum login information; if it ends up in the wrong hands, it can do a lot of damage.

The content at Radiomuseum is there because of many thousands of hours of volunteer work. Although pretty much anyone can become a member, out of respect for all of the work that has been done, security is taken seriously.

I hope everyone is able to respect the decision Ernst made in this case, even if you believe it should have been handled differently.

If anyone has difficulties registering as a new member, or in using the Radiomuseum website after registering, I'm always happy to help out (and a number of other folks are as well). Hopefully we can help prevent any unnecessary frustration. :)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 25, 2012 6:08 am 

So what did all these low-lifes download? Plans for a dirty bomb? Or dirty pictures?

Sounds like all the security issues are on Mr. Erb's side of the ocean. If I told Mr. Voorhees that I was posting my password to ARF, I doubt he would manage more than a long yawn. Ernst needs to seriously lighten up.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next