Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lambert crystal radio
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2004 5:43 am 

I have added two pictures, front and top, of a Leon Lambert crystal radio I recently acquired. It was made in Wichita, Kansas, circa 1924. It is in the photo gallery in the crystal folder.<BR>Appreicate any comments anybody has.<BR>Art Hoch<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2004 7:28 am 

Leon Lambert's crystal sets show up maybe as or more often than most other brands from that time period apparently, particularly in the Midwest, There are quite a few variations though: some have a little metal tag tacked on, usually on top front center, some do not have a tag at all. Detectors vary some as well and I've seen them with Erla fixed detectors. <P>One thing is more or less constant it seems, and that is the little wooden boxes they are mounted in. I cannot verify the story other than from observations, but was told quite a number of years ago that the boxes the Lambert sets are mounted in were used to ship sticks of chalk, packed in saw dust, to schools. Lambert supposedly had a deal with someone with the local school system to acquire these as they were emptied. I have owned one example, and have seen other examples of these sets that show some pressure marks on the flat sides, near the corners, where they apparently were packed in bundles, and the strapping tape used to secure the bundles left an impression. This seems to indicate that the story might be true and they might be leftover marks from the box's days as a chalk shipping box.<P>Has anyone else heard the story or can anyone else offer more details on this theory?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2004 5:33 am 

I don't have any reason to argue your story. I remember those boxes of chalk and this box certainly resembles them, especially the dove-tailed joints on the corners. However, I don't remember the chalk boxes being this large. Perhaps some were. They would make a convenient cabinet with hardly any labor involved for conversion to a radio. Interesting story.<P>------------------<BR>