Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 19, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Needed Hallicrafters S120
PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2005 2:30 am 

I am restoring to service my childhood S120. The filament circuit utilized a globar resister, described as an <BR>880-100 ohm globar, Hallicrafters part # <BR>023-000327. <BR>Does anyone know how to decode the value? Where can I get a replacement?<BR>Is there an alternate component I can use? <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2005 2:35 am 

Rudge, heres the schematic for your Halli 120<P>ftp://bama.edebris.com/bama/hallicra/s120/s120.djvu<P>------------------<BR>Jim Dutridge

PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2005 4:21 am 

Here's a link to both the service and owner's manuals <A HREF="http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/Manuals/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/Manuals/</A> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sun 20, 2005 6:48 am 

Just had a thought. Before you replace the glow bar, check the dial lights. They are in series with a resistor and it and the filaments. If they are bad, the filaments won't get enough voltage to light up. They are cheaper and easier to replace, also.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sun 20, 2005 7:18 am 

The original part had a rating of 880 ohms cold and 100 ohms hot. Unfortunately you will probably never be able to find an exact replacement for it as it was almost certainly custom made for this application. <P>At one time, Workman had some replacement types of globar resistors in their product line, but I don't have an old Workman catalog handy. Even if they did make one 40 years ago it would still be very unlikely to locate one today. <P>I have had success in the past replacing this part with a 100 ohm wirewound resistor, rated at 10 watts. You may get away with a 5 watt resistor, but there is little air circulation below the chassis and it may run hot. Also it would be a good idea to add an inrush current limiter to the set to give it a soft start, that was the purpose of the original globar resistor. <P>------------------<BR>Dennis