Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 02, 2020 8:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Delayed vs. Delaying Time Base?
PostPosted: Jul Sun 30, 2006 2:07 pm 

What is the difference in their function? Tek makes a distinction between the two in my 7834 scope manual but offers no explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 30, 2006 3:06 pm 

The delaying time base sets the interval, after which the delayed one starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 30, 2006 4:02 pm 

Thanks. I need one of each to get a delayed sweep as the manual says.

The reason I ask is that I have a 7B85 (delaying) in the A HORIZ slot of my 7834. There is a 7B53A (delayed) in my B HORIZ slot. My 7834 manual does not recommend the 7B50 series time-base units because 'they require a longer delay line than is used in the 7834.'

So I'm thinking of getting rid of the 7B53A and get a 7B80 or 7B71 for the B slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 30, 2006 5:25 pm 

7B80's are great. They contain so many functions that may be reduced to reading a manual though, depending on what you're doing with it.

7A26's make great vertical/horizontal amps for 7000 series Tek's, in case you're also working on that end of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 31, 2006 1:02 am 

I use a 7B92A in the Horizontal A slot in my 7834, since it has both delaying and delayed timebases in one unit, and higher sweep speeds. The Horizontal B slot has a 7A26 for non-sweep input to the horizontal system.

The slots of a 7000-series mainframe are symmetrical in that you can use any plug-in in any slot. You can run a vertical sweep if you want and probe inputs to the horizontal axis :eek: However, the triggering system may not work correctly with odd-ball configurations.

You can also use the 'scope as an (expensive) amplifier. The Vert Signal Out on the back panel is an amplified version of whatever you choose as the Trigger A source. This is a great way to drive a frequency counter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 31, 2006 3:40 am 

There is one exception to the "any plug-in in any spot" and that's with wide multiple-compartment plug-ins such as spectrum analyzers (7L4, 7L12, 7l13, 7L18, etc.) or logic analyzers (7D01, 7D02) where the right side of the plug-in must land in the left horizontal compartment, an automatic placement in 3-holers such as the 7603.

You can "hot box" (install or remove in any compartment with the mainframe power on) most of the 7000-series plug-ins such as the timebases and amplifiers, but I always shut a mainframe off when installing double- or triple-wide plugins or any of the digital plug-ins such as the counters simply because there's just too much going on in them. Besides, there's a power supply within ones such as the 7D01 that wouldn't hurt to come up with the rest of the supplies.

The trouble with using a 7B53A as a delayed timebase against a 7B80 is that the '53A is a slower timebase. Besides, the '53A is a delayed-sweep timebase in and of itself as is the 7B92A. The main advantage of having a timebase in both horizontal compartments of a 4-holer is that you can alternate them in the mainframe for two different sweep speeds. A delayed-sweep timebase is nice in the left horizontal compartment if you have a 7CT1N curve tracer (in the right vertical compartment) because you can switch the timebase to the 0.5V/div horizontal input for use with the curve tracer without having to waste a vertical amplifier in that spot. Also, the 7CT1N will also work in the left horizontal compartment with an amplifier in the right vertical compartment.

Dean