Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 25, 2020 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Signal Injector Pen
PostPosted: Oct Sat 05, 2002 6:06 am 

Hi All:<P>I was chatting with older radio & TV guy who was telling me about this item and how useful it was, he had one back in the 50's-60s.<P>I found one recently on ebay and recently rec'd it. It is a pen like probe that screws open to take two batteries, according to the small diagram inside.<P>AA's are exactly the correct diameter, but inserting 2 as shown doesn't fit, the batteries are too long.<P>Does anyone know what type of batteries go into this tester?<P>It is a Buzit model 87A or 8ZA by Workman.<P>thanks,<BR> <P>------------------<BR>George

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2002 5:19 am 

Got smae type unit from my brother. Has probe and a light on tip when you turn it on.<BR>Uses only one battery. Behind prone is a electrical type unit, the size of a battery.<BR> Do you know how this is used and what for.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2002 8:43 am 

These testers consisted of a transistor oscillator of about 1 kHz or so that had a very rough waveform so they were rich in harmonics well up into the RF spectrum. They often were a blocking oscillator using a single transistor but could also be a pair of transistors as an Astable (self oscillating) multivibrator. They were used as a simple signal injector; by touching the various stages of a radio some component of the signal should be heard, either the fundamental as an audio signal or the harmonics through the RF and IF stages. Not very precise but a quick way of finding what stage wasn't working by moving back and forth through the set.<BR>Don Black.<BR>PS It might take N batteries. Radio Shack used to stock them here, see if they have them and if the right size. <A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/batteryfinder.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=Batteries&Page=1" TARGET=_blank>http://www.radioshack.com/batteryfinder.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fnam e=Batteries&Page=1</A> <BR>Type N in the search box and then click on the RS number to see a photo.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2002 11:41 pm 

Thanks Don !<BR> Now I know how and what it was used for. Many Thanks..<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Tue 15, 2002 5:57 am 

I have one of these probes made by Eico that I built from a kit. It uses two type "N" batteries. As I recall, these are each about one half as long as a penlight cell. Jim<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2002 7:11 pm 

My late brother and I homebrewed a bunch of those probes in San Diego in the early 60's, using penlight cases. I remember the Buzit well, and I'm sure it was type N batteries as the others have suggested. We wanted more harmonics, so we built asymmetric multivibrators out of surplus transistors--waveform wasn't pretty, but you could hear it up into VHF!! I've even used 'em for video tracing. Lost my last one around '82 when I left the business for a while...almost forgotten until I spotted this forum today. Time to build another--they were really handy. <P>------------------<BR>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 4:13 pm 

Here are photos of the Workman super buzit and the instruction card that I have. Mine takes one AA battery. The instruction card was part of the packaging of these items.

Photo of back of card and super buzit:

Photo of front of card:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 10:56 pm 

Allen is there a schematic with your documention ?. If there is could you scan it for me. I have on of those but it stoped working and I want to get it back in working order. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 26, 2011 11:30 pm 

There is not a schematic. However, the circuitry is very simple in these devices. I would check to make sure that the battery voltage is getting to the circuitry. There is small wire that protrudes from the bottom plastic circuit housing and must make good contact when it screwed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 27, 2011 5:42 am 

The following thread has schematic diagrams of signal injectors, as well as discussion of their design:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109446

My collection does not include the above version of the Buzz-It, but I do have one that is very similar, with a different switch and aluminium housing. It has a blocking oscillator circuit with a centre-tapped coil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 27, 2011 8:00 am 

One brand was called a "Buzz-It".
I tried one and was VERY dissatisfied with it.
it would push a signal thru 2 dead stages, due to its high output. No way to control the output level :(

I built my own using part of an automatic keyer circuit (multivibrator) from an old ARRL handbook. It used 2- 2N404's, 2- 10K resistors, 2 -100K resistors and 3- .01 mfd ceramic caps. Powewred by a AA or AAA battery.

I built several of these over the years and they all oscillated from audio to UHF levels- I could even generate signal bars by attaching it to the RF connector on a TV set!

Made it in an old IF can from a TV and used a nail as the probe.
Still using the one I made 15 years ago, but I have to change the battery every 5 years or so when it goes dead.

Post subject: Re: Signal Injector Pen
PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2013 4:23 am 

Hello All, I came across this site because it referenced a Workman super buzit. I think that is what I have, but not sure. The lettering is well worn. Anyway, I can not see the pics posted by Alan S. Any help/info/pics would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2013 8:56 pm 

Google "Workman super buzit" and click on Images.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2013 10:04 pm 

I have the Buzz-it as well. For what it is it works well. I also built the one shown in the A.R.R.L. handbook. Built it dead bug style and house'ed in a PVC sink drain adapter. This adapter has a large end then tappers down in size, added a PVC cap to one end with the prob tip and used a Desk hole plug on the other end to hold the battery and power switch. Also made the Crystal oscillator shonw in the same chapter.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

N2LXM wrote:
I also built the one shown in the A.R.R.L. handbook. Built it dead bug style and house'ed in a PVC sink drain adapter.

At least your Buzz-it was placed within non-conducting material. Many of those vintage units were housed in a metal can, often a chrome penlight case. Why the dumb choice of using metal when probing high voltage tube circuits is beyond me. I guess it's from the era when automobile dash controls had metal knobs as heavy as pinballs.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2013 8:29 pm 

This is all plastic and runs on 9 v supply battery works great

Attachments:
tracer.jpg
tracer.jpg [ 122.53 KiB | Viewed 9394 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 31, 2013 9:54 pm 

Thanks for everyone's input. I found the pics, looks like what I have. Couldn't read the print on the package(front or back) even downloaded the pics & tried to zoom in---didn't work. :( Anyone have any clearer pics??

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2013 10:48 am 

Haven't you tried any tool to magnify text...?

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2013 2:52 pm 

N2LXM wrote:
I have the Buzz-it as well. For what it is it works well. I also built the one shown in the A.R.R.L. handbook. Built it dead bug style and house'ed in a PVC sink drain adapter. This adapter has a large end then tappers down in size, added a PVC cap to one end with the prob tip and used a Desk hole plug on the other end to hold the battery and power switch. Also made the Crystal oscillator shonw in the same chapter.

Photos, please? Sounds like a winner, but I'd like to see it.