Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 11:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 6LE8 transmitter building instructions
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2008 5:34 pm 

For those who don't know yet, Bill Hamre is offering a kit that contains most of the parts to build the 6LE8 transmitter which is a modification of the 6888 transmitter designed by Norm Leal. To this day there has been no actual building instructions supplied with the kit other than the schematic, parts list, layout diagram of the prototype transmitter and some pictures of the prototype to give some ideas. It seems that everyone has been successful in building the kit so far so maybe better instructions are not even needed. However, Bill, Tom (35Z5) and I have now written down something that might help people in building their kits in the future. We decided to make it accessible in the Internet so that those who already have bought their kits could read them as well. Here's the link:

http://6le8transmitter.googlepages.com/ ... _v.1.1.pdf

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Forgive my bad English at some points.

Timo

EDIT: There was an error in the instructions about which parts should be left out if a 6888 transmitter is built instead of the 6LE8. The above link has been changed to point to the corrected version (v.1.1). Sorry about the error.

Last edited by TOH on Mar Mon 17, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2008 5:51 pm 

Very well written, Timo. There is no excuses now for not building one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2008 8:04 pm 

Forgive my bad English at some points.

Timo
----------------------------------------------------
IMHO you can come over and teach Engish 101 in any college we've got! I think your instructions are outstanding. Thanks for all the help. I think Kevin Kuehn thought we needed this. Timo picked up the ball and ran with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2008 8:39 pm 

I'll explain to the members why Timo needed to mention the L2/C12 replacement of L1/C10 in the new instructions. Around the time the parts kits started the 6888 threads were into slugs as they were fun. Easily and inexpensively obtainable from 50's/60's miniature tube AA5 bondo buckets in the scrap radio pile. So, we started with that schematic. However, buying that Miller slug new was almost the price of an entire parts kit. Norm Leal bailed me out by sourcing L2/C12 in a later 6888 thread. So, I made a battlefield decision and changed the parts kits to L2/C12 to keep the price at $17.16. Separate topic but I now include an octal socket from Bill Turner and a 6888 tube with every kit thanks to Kevin Kuehn. We are now out of the 100% quality controled 6LE8 tubes by 35Z5 and I'm supplying late model GE 6LE8 tubes instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2008 11:26 pm 

Boy, I'm just having a heck of a time trying to download it. I get about 2M and get an error :(

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2008 12:23 am 

Finally got it to download... I’ve been having problems staying online today for some reason.

Timo,
I think your instructions are absolutely wonderful. Very professional looking and easy to understand.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2008 6:52 pm 

Timo,

What timing, I laid out all the parts last night to start the build. Looks great. I will update you when I finish.

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 7:20 am 

bill hamre wrote:
Separate topic but I now include an octal socket from Bill Turner and a 6888 tube with every kit thanks to Kevin Kuehn. We are now out of the 100% quality controled 6LE8 tubes by 35Z5 and I'm supplying late model GE 6LE8 tubes instead.

Bill,
I"m sure you get a million questions about these kits so my applogies if this is a duplicate question. Are you supplying both a 6888 and a 6le8 with the kit or do those that have requested one need to specify which tube.

Thanks.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2008 10:00 pm 

Bill,
I"m sure you get a million questions about these kits so my applogies if this is a duplicate question. Are you supplying both a 6888 and a 6le8 with the kit or do those that have requested one need to specify which tube.

Thanks.
Steve
----------------------------------------------
Good question Steve because Kevin Kuehn and I were not sure what to do at first. I decided to supply both the 6888 and the 6LE8 with each kit. What tipped my scales was a good purchase on 100 6LE8's and Kevin Kuehn supplied the 6888's for free. Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2008 1:38 pm 

I have also created confusion during the history of supplying the parts kit about the coil value. The slug was wonderful but short lived over price. Norm found a 180uH coil source. On the 6888 threads at that time some members were crunching numbers and coming up with 169uH as optimum. Norm was mentioning on threads that the 180 could be unwound to 169 by homebrewers if they were purists. I was about to try to get this done for parts kit buyers but asked Norm first. He thought the 180uH coil would work ok as is. If anyone got a parts list that says 169uH instead of 180uH, the part is actually the same. The part never changed! Sorry or the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 17, 2008 9:44 pm 

There was an error in the instructions which is now corrected and the old version was removed and substituted by the new version. See the link in the first post of this thread.

The new version has a new version number (1.1) in order to distinguish it from the old one.

My apologies for the error.

Timo

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 21, 2008 2:02 pm 

I brought this up top at a members request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 23, 2008 1:02 am 

bill hamre wrote:

And it is appreciated. I sent you a PM.

Thank you very very much for putting together these kits and making them available for cheap, Bill. Also Thanks to all the others who have contributed to this project. Soon I will be able to listen to Jazz on my ZTO :D

Received the kit from Bill yesterday. Not included were the trimmer and coil for the tank circuit. Looks like everything else that you can not get from R/S is there. Including the 6888 tube which I get the impression was in short supply.

It will be awhile before I build this as I am currently dealing with computer problems.

Last edited by graywolf on Jun Tue 03, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 23, 2008 1:59 am 

graywolf wrote:
bill hamre wrote:

And it is appreciated. I sent you a PM.

Thank you very very much for putting together these kits and making them available for cheap, Bill. Also Thanks to all the others who have contributed to this project. Soon I will be able to listen to Jazz on my ZTO :D

After you get it working you might want to think about adding an antenna matching pi net to it. It makes quite a bit of difference.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 14, 2008 2:23 pm 

I just brought Timo's thread to the top off homebrew for inquiring members to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 01, 2009 9:47 pm 

http://6le8transmitter.googlepages.com/ ... _v.1.1.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------
Above clickable link is the 6LE8 parts kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 02, 2009 6:06 am 

I'm confused about which parts are or are not included in the kit from Mr. Hamre.? Can you fill me in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sat 02, 2009 4:24 pm 

Cabinate, filament xformer and audio xformer are not included but have radio shack part numbers referenced. Power xformer is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2009 6:15 pm 

Hi Bill,
Is this link for the 6LE8 parts kit still active? I'm thinking that I'd like to try building the transmitter. I do have an SSTRAN presently, but think I'd like to add another local transmitter.
Clicking on the link...the page is not opening....just "thinking about it"
Thanks for any help.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 22, 2009 5:36 pm 

Joe was able to get the link off the internet.